I don’t know about you but I’ve been literally melting this past week. Beauty lovers will be well aware of the daily struggle to prevent makeup sliding down your face, smudging around, going patchy, and just generally not staying put in the recent heatwave.
So today, I have some fantastic tips to share with you from Jamie Coombes, National Make-up Artist for Dior. Read on for his 10 pro-secrets to ‘sweat proofing’ your summer make-up, and how to prevent make-up from melting in hot weather…
1. Go light: Heavy, oil-based cosmetics do not wear well in hot weather. Light, sheer and waterproof make-up will hold much better.
2. Prepare ahead: Make-up moves around when it’s hot, so the best way to avoid that is to wear less of it. Use a tinted moisturiser and a concealer where you need it such as Dior Fix It Concealer (£23.50). This can be used as a skin perfector in your make-up routine or for touch-ups, concealing facial blemishes, helping to erase under eye circles and dark areas.
3. Invest in a primer to hold your make-up in place. Primers are made for humid weather because they extend the life of the foundation you apply over the top, keeping it looking fresh all day long. Diorskin Forever and Ever Wear (£29.00) primer is a fluid, non-oily texture and perfect for hot weather. Its intelligent ingredients specifically target the skin’s needs: in dehydrated areas, they trap water in the epidermis to maintain hydration; in oily areas, they capture sebum to eliminate shine.
4. Stick to stains: these are great for longevity in hot weather as they will avoid make-up sliding when the sun comes out. Use a gel lip or blush stain. Dior Backstage Cheek and Lip Glow (£27.00) is great as this enhances the wearers natural glow for an all-day glow of colour.
5. Avoid the shine: Use a powder such as Diorskin Forever and Ever Control Loose Powder (£34.00) to hold make-up in place and matify oil prone areas throughout the day.
6. Avoid melting eyeliner: Opt for a waterproof gel-like formula such as Diorshow Pro-Liner (£20.00). Once it is set after application, the resilient formula stays true with no movement.
7. Shimmer for the right reasons: When it comes to a cream blush, approach with caution. You should look for ones that have a dry finish on the skin. Avoid ones with shimmer because this will make you look oilier in the heat. Powder blushes can also look dull and streaky in hot weather. For longwearing climate resistant blushers try Diorskin Rosy Glow (£31.50) or Dior Cheek & Lip Glow (£27.00).
8. Let the skin breathe with a bronzer: Wear a bronzer in the months when the weather is warmest. A bronzer is a good choice for hot-weather make-up, because you will not have to wear as much other types of make-up to add colour to your face. Diorskin Nude Air Tan (£35.00) bronzing powders warm the original skin tone and let the skin breathe for the continual radiant beauty of a sun-kissed healthy glow.
9. Get a grip: Dior’s new Dreamskin Perfect Skin Cushion SPF 50 (Available 17th August at £62.00) has a lightweight serum texture which easily absorbs into the skin without leaving residue. It reduces complexion imperfections, so you don’t have to use a lot of foundation. It also helps the pigments in foundation or tinted moisturiser grip to the skin.
Edouard Mauvais-Jarvis, Scientific Director, Parfums Christian Dior, says: “Dreamskin Cushion is an ideal over make-up touch up solution. By tapping the applicator on the face, it will absorb the excess sebum, bring freshness, even the complexion and revive radiance, all of this without worrying about the result because the colour blends with the complexion, leaving no marks. The plus is that it also gives a boost of sun protection with the SPF 50 and the broad spectrum UVA protection. It’s easier to apply than make-up with all the benefits of skincare.”
I’ve just started using this and so far I absolutely love it – I’ll have a full review coming up soon!
10. For the more oil prone complexions: Jamie recommends Diorskin Forever Foundation (£33.00). At the heart of the new Diorskin Forever fluid foundation formula, the Activ-MatTM complex combines two types of innovative powders: one with mattifying properties that absorb excess sebum and another which refracts light in shadow areas created by skin texture irregularities. Shine is erased, light is softly diffused. The complexion is matte, vibrant and non-cakey. With SPF35 and up to 16-hour wear it’s perfect for the warmer temperatures.
I hope you enjoyed my post – I’d love to hear if you have any tips and tricks for helping your makeup stay put during the heatwave? xxx
This post contains press samples
Bloglovin' | Email | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | RSS Feed | Google+ | Tumblr