Welcome to my first ‘Home and Interiors’ post on TSNC!
When we moved house six months ago now (really, where has the time gone?) one of the main things that attracted me to our new house was the awesome conservatory. It’s bigger than the sitting room and is almost the full width of the house at the back. I envisioned this as my blogging haven, my workspace with sunlight coming in every direction, hopefully helping me to create some fantastic photos…
When we moved in, the conservatory had a horrible old brown carpet that had been there God knows how many years, but was otherwise open and airy, which is exactly what I wanted for my workspace. Clever me forgot to take ‘before’ photos, but I I found a picture online of what the conservatory originally looked like (above). It wasn’t that bad really, just not my style at all. There was lots of brown going on – brown carpet, brown wooden doors, brown windowsill and skirting boards, and it just had quite an old style and feel to it – which just wasn’t me at all.
I knew I wanted a white or near white, clean looking marble finish floor. But could I find marble look vinyl or laminate? No I could not. Apparently it’s not a thing – but I thought it would be really popular. I’d have liked vinyl or laminate just to keep the costs down, but as there was nothing even remotely like what I wanted available, I had to go for marble-look tiles instead.
Like I said, I wanted a light colour in a neutral or cool tone – too dark wouldn’t be right for the overall look I wanted, and too bright white and you’d literally need to wear sunglasses in there. After looking online for a long time, I finally found some tiles I liked! I ordered a couple of different samples from Walls and Floors, and after mulling them over, I ended up going with the Arabescato Veined White Marble Effect Matt Tiles.
As the space is pretty big, the tiles ended up costing £500- and that’s including a Black Friday discount! I waited until the weather got better to arrange the tiler to come over and lay them – and it took him four long days. Apparently they were a bit of a pain because the floor wasnt level, so he had to rectify this while he was laying them. I was SO HAPPY with the outcome I can’t even tell you. It’s exactly like I imagined it would look.
Next, I had to decide on what colour to paint the walls. I’m incredibly indecisive so this process actually took a few weeks. I went with a light peach colour which I had colour matched locally. I thought would complement the tiles well, and keep the look of the room feeling bright and clean.
We then primed and painted all the doors, windowsils and skirting boards so they were white, filled in the hairline cracks in the walls (you can see there were a lot of them) and finally painted the room…
And this is the finished product! (please ignore the dying plant, I was hoping to revive it!) I’m beyond happy with how well it all turned out!
The idea is that this half of the room (above) will be my work space. I also have a large chest of drawers and a few other bits and pieces in the room now too. And the opposite end, will be a play area for Freddy.
I’m hoping to come back with a Conservatory Makeover Part 2 very soon, as I want to add some more bits to Freddy’s area like a small table and a sofa, as well as some decorative items and wall art. I’m also looking to have curtain rails or blinds installed and hopefully some sort of sun protection on the glass ceiling to give the room some shade. So there’s still work to do, but the basis is completed now which is the main thing!
I hope you enjoyed my post – keep your eye out for more home and interior makeovers and features coming up soon! xxx
Bloglovin' | Email | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | RSS Feed | Google+ | Tumblr