Since I’m still setting up my new office slash beauty mecca, which was meant to be done ages ago, but you know, life! I really feel like I want to get stuck in and improve every aspect of my blogging. Also now I’ve recently had my blog design revamped, and I’m pretty much blogging full time, I’ve been thinking of ways I can improve my photos in term of the accessories I use. If you’re a regular reader, you’ll know the famous marble tray is no more. Sob sob! I now have brand new box-tray things, yay! And I also have a few other ideas up my sleeve too – watch this space! On the back of this I thought it would be handy to put together a list of popular accessory ideas to give others a bit of inspiration…
1. Flowers. Ok so personally I’m not really that into flowers aesthetically, but they can make an otherwise fairly plain and boring background look pretty and colourful. You could have some laying next to your products in a flat-lay set out, standing up in a vase, out of focus in the background. The possibilities really are are endless when it comes to flowers! Of course fresh is always going to be best, but this can work out pretty expensive in the long run. I’d recommend investing in some decent quality fake flowers that will last you for a very long time. (Image from www.rosychicc.com)
2. Plates, bowls and trays. The ring dish and of course marble tray seem to be quite popular photography accessories at the moment, but what about placing your products on a colourful bowl? Or a cute little plate? There are loads of similar alternatives available, just take a look around the net and see what takes your fancy! I think trays are probably my favourite accessory right now, they just add a bit of interest and you can play around a lot with placing products in them.
3. Jewellery. Following on from ring dishes, jewellery can be a great accessory to add to photos. I’m having a bit of a rose gold theme at the moment and often include my Michael Kors rose gold watch (I’m pretty sure every blogger owns one of these, right!?) one of my favourite bracelets and sometimes a pretty rose gold necklace with a swallow pendant. I complement these with my pink and rose gold Zoeva brushes too. Why not try picking out some of your favourite jewellery and practice placing it in your photos, it’s easy once you figure out what works for you. (Image from merrymusing.co.uk)
4. Washi tape. I LOVE washi tape, but just haven’t got round to using mine yet. If you’re not sure what it is you can check out my post on washi tape ideas here. It can be used in literally zillions of ways – stick it on a wipe clean surface such as kitchen floors to add interest to an otherwise boring background. Use it on your plain makeup storage jars to jazz them up a bit. Take a look on Pinterest too for loads of washi tape ideas.
5. Magazines. Another popular, easy and inexpensive idea. Open a fashion magazine to a particularly nice shot and use this as a background. easy peasy! Loads of bloggers do this already as it’s really simple and effective. Sprinkle some jewellery on the page too to add further interest. (Image from missstephanieusher)
6. Wallpaper and fabric samples. You can get samples of wallpapers either for free or for next to nothing from so many places these days. I have a few which I’ll be featuring in an upcoming post. Take a look in your local DIY store, grab a load of samples and practice setting up your products on them to see which works for you.
7. Clippings and cuttings. So this is what I’ve been doing for a while now, and it really couldn’t be easier, I bought a roll of shiny, iridescent paper from ebay and literally just chopped out a load of tiny triangles and sprinkled them around the products I was photographing. It couldn’t be any easier! You could also do this with a pretty paper or card.
8. Candles, pots and vases. An obvious choice, candles especially are a beauty blogger’s favourite background accessory! Again the options are limitless, take a look in your local charity shops to pick out some more unusual options too!
I hope this has given you some inspiration! Let me know if you have any other accessory ideas! And massive thanks to the bloggers who have let me include some of their fantastic images in this post!
I hope you enjoyed my post xxx