Ok so I feel like I’ve come to a bit of a turning point in my life. I’ve been stuck in a rut for a long time now, suffering on and off with anxiety, and eating my worries away. This negative cycle has caused me to put on five stones in about a year and a half. Yes FIVE stones – half a person. I’m carrying around an extra half person on my body every day. No wonder I’m always tired.
Basically I’m an emotional eater. I eat when I’m down, or stressed or upset. I’ve been using food as a crutch, and even though the instant gratification felt worth it, the long term effects have really taken their toll on my health and well being. I constantly feel sluggish, my get up and go has got up and gone, and my weight gain has severely affected my confidence. I feel like I’ve turned into a different person.
The main reason for all of this was my job. Without going into detail I basically hadn’t been happy there for a long time. So not so long ago I decided enough was enough, and handed in my resignation. It was super scary but I’m so glad I did it. Funnily enough I was then offerered a different job at the same company, doing a completely different role, as well as working less hours. I felt a mixture of relief, happiness, and excitement, now I can really get stuck in with my new job! This also gave me more time to focus on myself in terms of my health and fitness, as well as my blog and my other freelance roles.
I guess I kind of feel like a weight has been lifted, I’m now in a much more positive frame of mind, and I’m ready to lose this weight! Here’s how I plan to do it –
1. Drink more water. This was actually a new years resolution and I’ve been pretty slack with it. I drink a lot of tea, which I don’t think I can live without, and I know it’s dehydrating which completely defeats the purpose. So moving forward I’m just going to have a glass of water with every cup of tea I make. Simples!
2. Cut out the junk. I’ve been in SUCH bad eating habits. Hence why I put so much weight on. I’m a grazer, and I literaly snack all day out of habit. I’d buy a multi pack of doughnuts / chocolate bars / cakes with the idea that I’d have one now and again for a treat, but I’d just scoff them all in one go. I’ve now completely cut this out and I’m going cold turkey. No treats, no snacks, nothing bad at all. And I’m feeling GOOD about it!!
3. Eat healthier. Apart from cutting out the obvious junk, I want to actively eat healthier meals that will help me to feel good and lose weight. I’m going for high protein / low carbs in general, and lots of veg and greens. I’m trying out some products from Exante at the moment, so for example I’m swapping my lunch for an Exante meal or shake, and swapping out my sweet snacks for their high protein options or fruit. I also have a few bits from My Protein to try out too – I’ll have an update with how I’m getting on with these shortly.
4. Exercise. Ahh exercise. This has also been my downfall. I just wasn’t doing any – unless walking to the loo counts?? I’m now using my Wii Fit to do stepping, hardcore super fast stepping! I’m doing half an hour a day at the moment, then when I’m used to it and not so knackered I’ll make the step higher (the other half has pimped my step for me!) and eventually add wrist and ankle weights too.
(I should point out that I’ve actually done all this once before. When I was pregnant I put on 4.5 stones and I lost it all the year after, so I know I can do it again!)
5. Monitoring my progress. As well as the Wii Fit, I also recently purchased a FitBit Charge which is fantastic for keeping track of how much exercise you’re doing, it tracks your steps, your sleep patterns, your heart rate, and you can also manually input your food intake so it can count your calories. I’m really finding this is helping me too, so I’ll have a separate post on it shorty.
Ideally I’d like to lose the weight by the end of the year, but for a smaller goal I’m aiming to lose 1 stone by my birthday which is 12th June. I think this is achievable! Wish me luck xxx