As a girl with sensitive skin, face masks can often be a bit problematic for me. I LOVE a good face mask, I love the pampering ‘me time’ aspect of a mask, but occasionally my skin just doesn’t like them – those with sensitive skin will know what I’m talking about!
So when the latest launch from Dermalogica arrived – their Charcoal Rescue Masque, I thought it sounded fantastic, and I really hoped more than anything that it would suit my skin…
The Charcoal Rescue Masque has been designed specifically to detoxify and brighten skin. It uses a combination of charcoal, volcanic ash, sea silt, bamboo and sulphur to draw out excess oil and impurities, refine pores, calm redness, and improves skin texture and smoothness. They promise this will result in a healthy, vibrant and balanced complexion.
Let’s take a look at what the main ingredients do –
- Activated Binchotan Charcoal – this draws out excess sebum, toxins and other impurities from the skin. Activated charcoal, which has a negatively charged surface, attracts and binds itself to positively-charged toxins, helping to remove them from the skin.
- Sulphur – this promotes cellular turnover, resulting in brighter skin. It removes dead skin cells and combats breakout-causing bacteria. It’s antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, and ideal for calming rosacea, eczema and sebaceous dermatitis.
- Volcanic Ash, Hot Spring, Marine Silt (mud), and Bamboo Stem Extract – these are all physical exfoliants to leave skin smooth and revitalised.
- Phytic, Lactic and Mandelic Acid – these are chemical exfoliants which accelerate cellular turnover, increasing collagen production and brightening skin.
- Niacinamide – to combat redness, inflammation and congested pores.
- Chilean Wild Mint – to improve skin texture and reduce the visibility of pores.
The Charcoal Rescue Masque is really easy to use, you just apply generously to clean skin – avoiding the eye area, and leave on for 10 minutes. You’re then advised to lightly massage into the skin with wet hands to help with exfoliation during removal, and then rinse thoroughly.
I left this mask on for just over five minutes on my first use – just to be on the safe side. It had an instant cooling effect on my skin, and as the product dried, my skin started to feel tight – but not in a bad way (those who have reactions will know what I mean) and I’m pleased to say my skin actually loved this mask, and I didn’t have a reaction! After removing the product my skin felt super clean and very smooth to touch. I think this will be a great weekly mask for me 🙂
I also wanted to mention that Dermalogica kindly sent over this rather interesting looking water bottle along with the Charcoal Mask. This bottle has an actual lump of charcoal in it – to filter out impurities. How awesome is that! If you’re interested in reading more about this, you can check out the manufacturer site for more info here.
The Dermalogica Charcoal Rescue Masque is £38.00 for 75ml, and available now at John Lewis.
I hope you enjoyed my post xxx
This post contains press samples